We don’t need to say too much about why it’s good to shop at Farmers Markets, Nutrition.gov says it so well for us. We do believe that a visit to a local market with your kids is an excellent thing to do.
Top 10 Reasons to Shop at a Farmers Market
1. Freshly picked, in season produce is at its peak in flavor and nutrition.
2. Support your local farmers and economy.
You can help new and smaller farmers be successful and save farmland in your area.
3. Fresh fruit and vegetables are full of antioxidants and phytonutrients.
4. It’s a great way to get your kids involved.
Let them pick out something new to try, then they can help prepare a meal or snack.
5. Supporting your local farmers market strengthens your community.
Meet your local farmers, learn about foods grown in your area and catch up with friends and neighbors while stocking up with local goods.
6. Farmers markets offer foods that align with MyPlate guidelines.
Buy foods and see how they fit with ChooseMyPlate. Visit different booths to pick up seasonal fruits and vegetables, as well as local dairy, grain and protein products so you can build your healthy plate.
7. Farmers often have recommendations for preparing their products.
8. You can try a new fruit or vegetable!
Have you ever tasted gooseberries or rhubarb? Many farmers markets offer lesser known fruits and vegetables, providing a variety that can be both tasty and nutritious.
9. SNAP and WIC benefits are accepted at some farmers markets.
10. Farmers markets are easy to find.