Green Onion and Sweet Potato Fritter
MAKES 6 SERVINGS
2 sweet potatoes
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
¼ cup chopped green onions
¼ cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
Yogurt Dipping Sauce
⅓ cup plain yogurt
Zest from 1 lemon
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 small garlic clove, minced
- Peel the sweet potatoes then grate them using the large holes on a box grater. Put them in a large bowl and add the cheddar cheese and chopped green onions.
- Whisk together the eggs with the sea salt and pepper and add them to the bowl with the sweet potatoes and flour. Mix everything together well.
- Heat a medium-sized frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add a splash of oil. Take a handful of the sweet potatoes and form it into a fritter – don’t worry if it doesn’t stick together well. Working in batches, and adding more oil to the pan between batches, fry the fritters in the hot pan for 3-4 minutes per side. Press the tops of the fritters down gently, so they stick together better and adjust the heat if they start to get too brown.
- Set the cooked patties on a baking sheet in your oven with your oven on to its lowest setting to keep them warm while you pan-fry the rest.
- While the sweet potato fritters are cooking, prepare the lemon yogurt. In a small bowl mix the yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice and garlic. Serve dip on top or on the side of fritters.
* Fritters can alternatively be baked: Flatten fritters onto a greased baking sheet and bake in preheated 400’ oven for 20 minutes or until edges are browned.